Safari LTD | Dragons ~MIDNIGHT MOON DRAGON
Like any other species, dragons are classified by shared traits and characteristics. One family is the Dark Dragons, a class of winged, dark-colored beasts that exit their lairs only after sunset. All are rare, and the family includes Ghost Dragons, Twilight Dragons, Cave Dragons, and, of course, Midnight Moon Dragons. This species is so named because they prefer to fly only during new moons, the darkest of all dark nights. They appear in few stories because even the brave knights of King Arthur’s time knew better than to grapple with the fell midnight moon dragon. Although not fire breathers, they are silent fliers, which, combined with the dark skies they prefer, makes them nearly invisible.
Midnight moon dragons once terrorized dark nights, appearing once every month during the new moon to sweep into villages and raid farms. These dark nights allowed the silent dragons to move about almost undetected, until a brave peasant devised a cunning plan to prevent further attacks on his village. As the sun set on a moonless night, he built a large bonfire, filling the sky with flickering light. The bright flames easily lit up the golden underbelly of a high-flying midnight moon dragon, allowing the village archers to launch a volley of arrows in its direction. None could harm the dragon, but without the element of surprise, the dragon sought easier targets. Thus, the village began a tradition of new-moon bonfires that continues to this day.
The midnight moon dragon is one of the elusive dark dragons, a seldom-seen class that prowls only after sunset. Midnight moon dragons most resemble mountain dragons, with their massive wingspans, low bodies, and long necks.
- Scientific Name: Draco lunam
- Characteristics: A low-slung body keeps this midnight prowler near the ground, hiding its shimmering underbelly. When hiding in a hoard of gold, midnight moon dragons leave just their golden horns and claws exposed, a warning to any observant enough to notice.
- Size and Color: A dark, shiny purple hide allows the midnight moon dragon to blend in with the shadows, while a golden underside reflects the stars. A double set of ruby-red eyes allow for simultaneous focus near and far. The figure measures 9 inches, a little longer than a tablet.
- Midnight Moon Dragons are part of the Good Luck Minis® collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free