Safari LTD | Wings of the World Birds ~ BLUE FOOTED BOOBY
Although blue-footed boobies are currently classified as “least concern” on the conservation status spectrum, a recent study suggested that their numbers in the Galapagos Islands are declining due to breeding troubles. Researchers believe that the booby’s breeding success is being affected by a decline in the sardine population, which is of one of their main food sources. There is no evidence of other possible causes. With that in mind, if you decide to take this beautiful bird home, make sure to have plenty of fresh fish on hand!
- Recommended Age: 3+
- Size in cm: 7.5 L x 5.25 H
- Size in inches: 2.95 L x 2.07 H
It’s no mystery as to how the blue-footed booby got its name! Male blue-footed boobies use their uniquely-colored feet to attract a mate, and will dance and strut in front of females in order to show them off. The brighter the shade of blue, the better!
- Scientific Name: Sula nebouxii
- Characteristics: Hand-painted and designed with true-to-life detail, our wildlife figurines are for more than just nature enthusiasts – they make great tools for learning and play as well! In what must be one of the strangest interactions in nature, the blue-footed booby’s feet actually depict how well-nourished it is, because the shade of blue is directly related to its consumption of fresh and healthy fish.
- Size and Color: 3 inches long and 2 inches tall, our blue-footed booby figurine is almost exactly the size of a credit card stood upright. One of the more vibrantly-colored species of bird, blue-footed boobies not only have their obviously blue feet, but a slightly darker blue face along with white body plumage, brown wings, and a speckled gray neck.
- The Blue Footed Booby is part of the Wings of the World Birds collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free